Friday, February 12, 2010

13 hours to go!

Oh man, this is really the final countdown now! It's not even a day away, it's practically down to my last few hours here in li'l ole Kuching! It's past 2 in the morning, and I've more or less finished my packing. All that's left are the usual last-minute stuff, like my laptop (if I packed this early how would I blog?), the batteries of my digi-cam, needle and thread (don't ask), a small little bottle of perfume, my watch (ooooh! nearly forgot my watch!) and my laptop battery (would be a disaster if I forgot this one). I'm not bringing any cookies after all, no space left. In fact, every little nook and cranny that can be squeezed out of my bags has been utilised.

I'm anticipating a lot of lonely, homesick-heartsick moments, so I've brought along some entertainment in the form of the following: one Korean drama DVD boxset "Oh Su Jung vs. Karl", 2 portable hard drives (1 of which holds my entire anime, movie, and TV series collection), and 3 literature reference books. Yes, the last one would be a form of entertainment for me, sadly enough, because I'd have to force myself to read them in my free time if I ever intend to keep up with the rest of my soon-to-be coursemates. I am so behind in my studies. Scary I know, considering the fact that I haven't even started my studies!

Anyway, on this, my last night - or rather my last 13 hours! - in Kuching, I've decided to make a list of the stuff I'd miss most while I'm stuck there in a strange and foreign land. Here's

What Esther will miss the most:

  • my family
  • my friends
  • my musical instruments
  • Sarawak laksa
  • curry rice
  • Astro
  • Coca-Cola (because it'll be super-expensive there!)
  • my bed, blankets, mattress #1, mattress #2, my collection of pillows
  • Nanak #3 (sorry I couldn't bring you along)
  • my trusty air-con
  • Maggi mee (I'm only bringing 10 little packets, so that's only gonna last me so long)
  • Happy Hour (don't ask)
  • that dear old Feroza with the power steering
  • lounging around all day doing nothing
  • the smell of my room
  • Chuno (!!!!)
  • the rain (I'm not sure if it rains there)
  • the comforts of home
  • steamboat
  • nasi lemak
  • Kuching


The list is not that long, I know, but that's pretty much it, can't think of what else I'd miss. So that's it. 13 hours from now, I'll be arriving at the airport, and it might be a tearful farewell, or I might shock everyone and leave with dignity and peace (and maybe even a few last laughs). 15 hours from now, I'll be boarding a plane to KL. 17 hours from now, I'll be touching down in KL. 20 hours from now, I'll be boarding a plane to Sydney. And 30 hours from now, a new adventure will begin, even as I arrive in Aussie-land. Cheers you all, and goodbye, my home. I'll miss you very dearly.

2 comments:

Cynthia said...

that's surprising..u didnt bring ur nanak with u...maybe one day u can ask ur dad to courier it to u..
ur list...haha...actually life in aussie land is not that terrible..just need to get used to it...of course, the first few days will be the toughest...with the jet legged, first few phone calls back to home...meeting new people..yea..but u should be fine..if i can go through all these, u should be able to..
anyway, enjoy urself in aussie land..

EScetera said...

Cynthia: I did bring my nanak along - in fact I brought TWO! Muahahahaha! I got through customs/immigration checkpoint without any problems! :)