Last night my appetite for instant noodles finally grew too large to contain, so at approximately one in the morning (I think, times passes real weird here) I got out the pot and placed it atop the flameless stove and brought out the packet of Indo Mie mi goreng (BBQ chicken flavour, that's what they call it here, even the instructions on the back of the packet's in English!) that they gave us in our welcome bag and cooked that. It tasted exactly the same as the ones we get back home lar... Not that much of a noticeable difference. That satisfied my craving for Asian flavours, and every little bit of noodle was so precious! People back home, you don't appreciate instant noodles until you're stuck here amidst the blandness of Western cuisine! Ah, I miss spices and belachan and laksa and drowned rice and Penang assam laksa and belachan beehoon and all the Coca-Cola I can drink without having to worry about the price! Argh!!!!


Today's late dinner wasn't that appetising, and again, I'm left disappointed and frustrated. I forgot that risoni isn't like real pasta, which is why I put that down as my choice for late dinner. It was quite gross. Firstly, it looks like honeydew seeds, and I guess that's kinda strange, because everytime I take a bite I expect a crunchy texture. Secondly, and this one is a psychological thing, one of the first times I tasted risoni I think it was was from the salad bar, in the form of a cold salad, and I don't know how long it'd been hanging around in that there exposed place, because it was sour and obviously rotten. So everytime I took a bite of my dinner tonight I couldn't help remembering the smell and taste of that rotten salad, and to cut a long story short, let's just say my dinner tonight nearly made me gag. Even though really I guess it was quite nice, cos it was cooked in a creamy spinash and button mushroom sauce, which, with any other pasta, would have been absolutely delicious. But oh well. There's always my late supper instant noodle option. Teehee.
An exciting event will be taking place this coming weekend here at IH, and it's been the topic of our conversations ever since the posters went up: it's the Assassination Game! We've heard quite a bit about how it was played in previous years, and up to last week some of us were wondering when it would actually be played this semester. So imagine our excitement when last night the posters and rules explaining the game went up on the notice boards all over the building! We've been talking about it the whole of today, at lunch, at dinner, blah blah blah, you get the point. Basically, each participant is given a plastic knife with the name of their 'victim' on it, and we've gotta go around 'killing' our 'victims', but there are rather strict rules that define how the 'kill' can be made: the 'killer' must say a certain phrase, the 'blade' of the 'knife' must be in contact with the 'victim', and there should be no other people around to see you perform the 'kill', i.e. the 'crime' is committed in total secrecy. You can tell it's gonna be plenty of fun, but here's the best part: there's no time limit! The game goes on and on and on (for weeks, prolly even months on end) until there's only one person left standing, i.e. when you 'kill' someone, they give you their 'knives', and their 'victim' becomes your next target. Fun eh? So yeah, that's something to look forward to. Here's a snap of the posters that are on the notice boards here:
Here's also another interesting poster that's been around for the past 2 weeks or so. It's a poster for an event that'll be taking place this coming Wednesday. Apparently it's a campaign of sorts to get the Australian government to increase the youth allowance or something. And how are they, the great leaders of tomorrow, a.k.a. university students, gonna show this? By eating instant noodles en masse at the Quad, and by doing this, attempting to break some world record or something. I'm thinking of going, if only because they're giving out free instant noodles, but then it'll be in the afternoon, under the hot scorching smouldering ball of fire that is the Sydney sun, and suddenly I don't feel like going out at all. So we'll see how it goes this Wednesday. But for now, here's the poster:
So that's it from me today, people! Till the next time I blog (could be tomorrow, next week, next month, next year, who knows, why spoil the suspense, right?), see you guys! Cheers!
7 comments:
wah..so much fun u got staying at IH..i dont get to do that here..and its really hard for me to socialize around here doing real socialization...huhu..sad..=(
speaking of instant noodles, hv u try the maggi mee here??
Hey Cynthia!!!! What did you say in your first post that made you delete it? Muahahahaha!
Yeah, it can be pretty fun here at IH, what with all the different people you're forced to talk to and greet and eat with (i.e. socialize), but after a while, it reaches a point where there's just too much fun and not enough work, and that's where I start lagging behind in my reading!!!! *cries*
I haven't tried their Maggi here lar... I heard it's not good? Like, not spicy at all, no kick? But I heard they have like real meat and veg and portions are bigger? I dunno, I'll try to buy some when (IF!) they go for cheaper at Coles hahahaha!
i see milk.
They have free flow of milk here, trishie. Full cream milk, low fat milk, even soy milk! The full cream milk isn't very nice though, I think they buy the cheap ones, so the flavour and aroma isn't really very good. But it's still milk! :)
their milk not nice???!!!! gosh, then, before u come home, you MUST try their NICER milks, k?
The bottles of milk they have here, I think it's the cheaper ones, or 'healthier' ones, so not as creamy and flavourful. But the other day they had the ones in the carton, and that one was fantastic (different brand).
Post a Comment