This morning I woke up ecstatic and exhilarated. Why? Because I don't have classes on Fridays, muahahahaha! Okay, pardon the gloating, just can't help it, especially when you see everyone else gulping down their lunches and scrambling for classes, all flustered and frazzled. Muahahahaha!
Anyway, this morning Su-Wen and I had planned to go to the Co-op Bookshop, so she'd only just stepped into my room when another series of knocks came, thus signalling the arrival of the Fridge Man. He checked on the condition of my current fridge, and dismantled the freezer and showed me that the fan had literally frozen over (or something like that, I'm not an engineer, don't ask me to elaborate in detail all this strange mechanical stuff). He said I'd have to switch the fridge off for a couple of hours till the ice had melted and then he'll come and check on it again, but I told him that I'd already shut down the fridge a couple of days ago and it was still giving me problems. So he said he'd go and check to see if there was a fridge available, so he left and returned 15 minutes later with a brand new fridge! I know it was brand new because he said so, in fact, his actual words were: "This is brand new so it shouldn't give you anymore problems". Or something like that. And also, sticky tape was still attached to some of the trays and inner fittings of my brand new fridge. So I'm happy. Here's what my brand new fridge looks like:
So after that we finally got to go to the bookshop, and I managed to pick up most of my books (couldn't find one), but I'm pretty sure there's more to come, as some lecturer was saying that we would be doing some work on a few Australian books that were already out of print. So there's more to come. I was quite horrified at the price of these books, the total comes to approximately AUD$321.45, which makes it about a thousand ringgit. But I try to console myself with the fact that I had earlier anticipated to spend about AUD$1000 on my books this semester, so I should be quite thankful that it's not even a third of that. And I'll be able to bring these books back with me and read them over and over again for the rest of my sorry life (them being fiction and all, and not actual boring textbooks - who would wanna read textbooks over and over again for the rest of their sorry lives?) so that makes me happy. Here's a picture of my books, which I'll have to start reading like tomorrow. At top speed, too. Oh man, it's giving me a headache just thinking about it.
And tonight we celebrated International Women's Day at IH. We all dressed up real spiffy-like, and some even came in proper suits and ties (the men, I mean). We had out pre-dinner drinks in the Wool Room, where they served us sushi, spring rolls, shrimp skewers and drinks (I had a glass of white wine, very sweet, not my cup of tea). Then the usual speeches and stuff took place, and at about 7 p.m. we proceeded to the dining hall for a fancier dinner than usual - we had rice, some roast beef thingy, roast chicken, green beans in a very tasty creamy mushroom sauce, and lettuce and mango salad. And oh yes, I helped myself to 2 glasses of red wine (ah, now this is more like it!). There was some sort of a party tonight too, at the Wool Room, which started at 9 p.m. (but I only joined it at about 10). When I entered it was clear the party was already up and going - most of the residents were on the dance floor, grooving to the typical dance music, and some were gathered around the cocktail table (is that what you call it?). I had a plastic cup-ful of white wine (my mistake, too sweet) and went back for another Coke. So what did I learn today? Apparently my alcohol tolerance is way higher than I'd originally thought. Hmmm. I'm still very sober. In fact, it feels like I haven't even taken any alcohol! Hey, who took the alcohol out of the alcohol? They've scammed us, people!
Okay I'll stop now. But it's nice to know I've got a brand new fridge that won't go bonkers on me anymore (hopefully). It's also nice to know that I've got a tonne of books to cram into my puny brain as fast as I possibly can. And of course, it's always nice to know I don't get drunk easily. Cheers!
4 comments:
all u need to do is stay in ur room more often and start reading..im pretty sure u can finish reading the books less than a week time...of coz the books must be interesting enough to read..hehe...
Happy reading!!!!
Cyn, it's so easy to read when you're not supposed to be reading, but so hard to read when you're trying to force yourself to read... Wait, does that even make sense? I'm too sleepy... Managed to read about 60 pages. Will try to squeeze in more! T_T
I feel u Est...we all got cheated!! Masters is not fun at all... huhu..i feel more relax doing degree..but not for Masters...naik gila!!!
Hahahaha! Nevermind, Cyn... If you go back to Kch, you can find that person and ask for 'clarification' muahahahaha!
Post a Comment