Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Monday at Hikaru

The other day I was reading The Bull, which is some student-run magazine here in USyd, and I came across the page where they were reviewing cheap food and booze in the vicinity of the campus and all, and my roving eyes stumbled hungrily devoured this little paragraph describing the chicken katsu set of this Japanese place somewhere on King Street (somewhere in Newtown). So I eagerly approached a couple of my coursemates and told them eagerly (real eagerly), that we had to go and try it out. Imagine my happiness when one of them said she'd been there before! So we arranged to hike our way over to Hikaru (that's the name of the place) after today's class (which ended at 5.30 pm) for a nice dinner. Of course, I chose to have the chicken katsu set (that's what caught my fancy in the review), and it's basically chicken fried in some batter and topped with tonkatsu sauce (don't ask me what that is, that's what it said on the menu, if I remember right). All the mains came with mini edamame (some green beans in some tough-textured pods, dunno what their actual names are), miso soup, a generous portion of salad greens, and steaming white rice! I also had a bottle of Schweppes dry ginger ale to wash it all down with, and I must say I'm very impressed with the place. For one, the prices are really very reasonable (the whole meal cost AUD$12.30, which is really very cheap for Sydney standards), and the portions are pretty generous. Flavours are good, too, so I was a happy camper.

It was a bonus to have such good company: Yin, Hema, and Maria were a bundle of laughs, and we must have cut a pretty impressive picture, us studious postgrads with our thick heavy books of literary criticism and all (just picture lugging around a hardcover dictionary, that's what it looks like). I really had a good time, and I'm happy I had the chance to try out some 'famous' (i.e. it got reviewed in a magazine, that's gotta count for something, right?) Japanese restaurant (dunno if you can call it that, though... the place was tiny!!!!). Hmmmm. Now to look for another place to plan my next dinner visit! Cheers, people!

5 comments:

Cynthia said...

the food look all so yum...bring me there when im in sydney on thursday...hehe

EScetera said...

For real? You don't wanna try out the famous Newtown shops? Or Chinatown?

triShie said...

your pictures are so sharp lah!! frustrated, ubber frustrated with mine.. anyways, how much is a meal like the one you just had? and, no picture of ur dish??

triShie said...

oh, so THAT was ur dish.. sorry, my brain didn't register, just thought it as the general food on the table. wakaka.. it's wednesday, but, it's practically my monday.

EScetera said...

My pics are sharp? I think it's my camera: it seems to take really good shots only in low light situations! In daylight, my shots look rather dry, i.e. colours don't pop (unlike my digicam, remember that trusty old 4MP sidekick?). Different brands have different perks, mine just seems to work best in low light.

And I was wondering whether something was wrong with your eyes, LOL!!!! I had the chicken katsu dinner set, which comes inclusive of salad, rice, edamame and miso soup, so that set is $9.80.