Monday, September 24, 2012

Pet Potato: Day 12

Pet Potato's doing fine. The sprouts on Pet Potato's 'head' were really small a few days ago but are now taller and bigger, and more tiny buds seem to be emerging from Pet Potato's 'love handles'. And yesterday, I was very excited to see what appears to be little purple flower buds at the tip of the oldest of Pet Potato's sprouts!

 
I've been rather worried these few days because Pet Potato doesn't seem to be rooting though. So I did a little poking and peeking around the 'Net and realized my mistake: in all the excitement of having a new pet, I'd forgotten to submerge Pet Potato's 'legs' into the water. All I'd done was balance Pet Potato on the rim of my water-filled pasta jar, but this achieved no purpose as Pet Potato wasn't even touching the surface of the water. *facepalm*

 
It took about 20 minutes to figure out how to get Pet Potato's 'feet' dangling in the water without drowning it. Solution: bright yellow raffia string. Ugly, but effective. A lot of winding, knotting, and cross-knotting, but we did it.

 
 And now all we have to do is wait for Pet Potato to put down its roots. Pun intended.

No comments: