Four days ago, I found some extra garlic lying around and decided to see what would happen if I stuck the bulbs into the ground and watered them each day. I found a little patch (a really little patch) in the garden for my garlic, just next to the little curb and in between some weeds I thought were too pretty to rip out:
I like garlic, and like lots of it in pasta, but I'm not expecting to see bulbs of garlic growing in my garden (wrong climate methinks). I don't remember eating garlic shoots often, and I seem to remember not liking the taste. Why am I growing garlic then?
I guess I'm just excited to see their bright green spear-like leaves pushing through the damp muddy earth, little soldiers in green suits defying gravity, the scorching sun, and hungry earthworms. Although really I could be mistaking garlic shoots for shallot shoots.
Maybe I should try planting some shallots. Just in case.


No comments:
Post a Comment