Tuesday, October 16, 2007

Updates!

So finally it's the study break (yippee!) and finally, I got my lazy self to finally sit down in front of the laptop and start typing. I find it really ironic. You would think with the holidays (read: study break) around and all, I'd actually have more time to spend on blogging. The irony of the situation is I find myself even more busy than usual, spending my time on other things (read: the idiot box). Which is why I find it so difficult to come online. Just... Got distracted. That's all.

So anyway, I know some of you are waiting to read about what happened during the night of the play production. I really don't have to say much, I'm sure you've heard some news or other. Anyway, to cut a long story short, all went well, we pulled it off, we're all happy it's over, but rather sad at the same time I guess. I did feel a little wee bit sad that it was all over, y'know, that this was more or less the end of this really 'major' play production. Like, how many people actually get the chance to be part of something like this, right? And the job of screaming and directing other people sure has its kicks. Teehee! So right, onwards with the story. On that Friday morning almost two weeks ago (for those of you who didn't know, the actual staging of the play was on Friday the 5th of October), we had our final rehearsal, and at about 12.30 p.m. we stopped for some rest. I returned to uni at about 6.30 p.m., and from there on out it was really a mad race against the clock. I didn't even have time for dinner! Mostly, we were all running around like headless chickens, trying to put makeup on everyone. At about, oh I think it was around 9 p.m., I gave my group a peptalk of sorts, telling them the usual things you tell to a bunch of really nervous people. After that, we waited for a while, and then at about 9.30 p.m. our actual play started. Man, was I nervous sitting there with the audience. My group did well, I was really proud of all of them for really pulling it off. Here are some pics to actually help with your visual imagination and all:

The picture above was taken during one of the earlier practices. You can tell it was one of the earlier practices because everyone's still holding their scripts... Teehee! The picture below was taken on the actual day of the play production, that is, on Friday morning itself while we were all rushing to do lotsa things like props and costumes. This is the group of really talented people who were doing all those things. Everything from decorating the backdrop to sewing, to making signs and making a really cool 'throne' out of a normal chair.

The two pictures below are evidences of what happens when you need trees that can walk and talk... You get people to become trees! Complete with 'howling wind' and 'choking' sound effects...

Now this pic below with all the red light is a pic taken of our last rehearsal. You can see the Sphinx, pretending to die on the floor after her Riddle is answered. You can see Oedipus, agreeing to be the King of Thebes after he sees the beautiful Queen Iocasta. And yes, you can see the wild and barbaric Tribal Thebans too... They sure look vicious with all those sticks and branches in their hands... Run, Forest, run! Ahem. Pun intended.

This picture below is of Oedipus and the ever-popular Creon (some people call him Theban Idol)... A scene where they show their brotherly love, complete with secret handshake. You can also see Iocasta sitting on the throne, and her Maid too.

This pic below is one of those dramatic scenes from the play. Oedipus tries to get to the bottom of the mystery of Laius' death by threatening - Ahem. No no, I mean questioning Teiresias the Seer. We gave it a little Malaysian taste by making him a bomoh though... Complete with smoking bowl and all...

Was really proud of my Chorus, who you can see in the picture below. Look at them! That was a dramatic scene alright! We dressed them up in black cloaks, and that night they wore black pants and tops too, so it was really interesting. Here you can see them pleading for the life of Creon.

Ah... Here in the sepia-coloured picture below, you can see my pride and joy... The Octet! Of course, I know octet means eight, but what started as eight soon bloomed to include eleven people. Who, are rather what are they? They're the a capella group created to fill in the er, intermission while our Props Team changed the deco, backdrop, stage, etc. They sung two songs, Stand By Me and Beautiful Girls. First got the idea when I realised the two songs share the same bass riff. LoL! One of my fondest memories of the play was when the audience literally roared when the Octet switched from Stand By Me to Beautiful Girls... So proud of them!

Unfortunately, I wasn't able to take any pictures of the actual play production that night itself. Sad but true. But that's not the end of the story. The biggest shock for me came at the very end of the play, after the actors got up and formed a line on the stage. I kinda expected they were gonna take a bow, and I admit I was ready to join them, until they suddenly called me up and presented me with a bouquet of flowers... Flowers! With real roses in them! I was so touched... I don't think I've received a bouquet of flowers from anyone before, and for it to come from not just one person, but 63 (or 64, I can't remember) people! Now that, my friends, is indeed a beautiful memory to hold on to... Until my golden years. Sniff!

To any of my groupmates from Group II Oed Rex 2007, if you're reading this:

"Thanks for the memories!"

It's been a great journey, a great mission, but it was all worth it in the end! Cheers!

3 comments:

triShie said...

uh....welcome back ...??


hahahahahah!!
whoa...so 'short' larh ur entry...
heehee

but, it sure was sweet of 'em to give u flowers....

KeeMan said...

haha...lovely experience eh? bitter or sweet, you'll remember it. :)

EScetera said...

Hi guys!

triShie: LoL! Yeah, finally got the blogging craze back again... Well, somewhat lar. These days, do you have any idea how long I take on each entry? Sometimes close to 3 or 4 hours! Have to take time to upload the pics lar, and then get 'distracted' by other sites lar... Sigh. And yes, was very touched and pleasantly surprised they gave me flowers...

Keeman: Yeah, bittersweet! It's like, got bad moments lar, but the good moments outweigh the bad ones. Definitely will remember it! And the other day I got such a shock that the year was almost up... Like, where did all the time fly to?

Cheers you guys!