Monday, May 04, 2009

X-Men Origins: Wolverine

I've always like the X-Men cartoons, and was quite sad when the final X-Men movie came to an end a few years back. I thought it would be the end of the series, so imagine my immense joy when I heard there was going to be a movie on Wolverine. I literally went around telling people all about it. These past few years have passed with me wondering when it would be ready, when it would finally be released, so I was really excited when it finally arrived on Malaysian shores, and I spent close to a week bugging some of my friends to go watch it. The bugging intensified when I found out Gambit was going to be in the movie. I wouldn't stop talking about it. I guess my friends were finally fed up with all the bugging, because my buddies Vivian and Trish finally decided to accompany me to the cinema last Saturday evening.

Boy, were we blown away. It was a great movie. I'm not going to give away any spoilers, but I'll just say I wish Gambit had more scenes. I think he stole the show everytime he appeared, he was that cool. It was fun to see the other mutants too, but Gambit trumped them all. Gambit was always my favourite from the X-Men cartoons, and I was really disappointed when he didn't even appear in any of the three X-Men movies. Not one, but three X-Men movies and they couldn't even slot such a major character in? Okay, he did appear, or rather his name (it's Remy LeBeau, for those of you who didn't know) did. See if you can spot it, 'cause I went ballistic in the cinema all those years ago when I spotted his name. But yeah, it was a huge bummer not to have him in the previous movies. So my attention shifted to Wolverine, largely because Hugh Jackman did such a good job playing him. But I was still waiting for Gambit to make an appearance, but he never did, until now. Which makes me real happy. But it isn't enough! Now I'm hoping they'll have more X-Men movies and more Gambit in them.

I think I'll shut up now. Enough gushing. You guys will just have to watch the movie yourself to see what I mean, and please, go watch it in the cinema. I know many people are watching the leaked one, the one without the special effects and all, and really, it's just not the same. Why would you watch an incomplete movie when you could enjoy the original? It's like eating a double cheeseburger without the cheese. Like drinking Coca-Cola without any ice. Like eating Maggi mee without the seasoning. I think you get my drift, no? So please go watch the original. And anyway, this is one of those movies which you have to watch in the cinema, if merely for the blinding exploding scenes and sound effects. It's such a great movie that my friends and I are already eagerly anticipating the DVD release. That's how good we think it is. And to that I say cheers!

1 comment:

triShie said...

i don't believe i was blown away as much as u and vian. still, it wasn't a bad movie. i finally understand the guy..i think....

and on gambit........he can look pretty asian for a split second.