Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Paddy's Markets & Prawn Noodles!

Last Sunday, my coursemate Yin very kindly invited Nav and myself to her home for har mee (prawn noodles). So we met outside Broadway at noon and dropped into Harris, which is something like a fresh foods supermarket at the basement of the building. Then we needed to get more ingredients, so we walked all the way (not that far lar, only about 15 to 20 minutes of leisurely walking) to Paddy's Markets. The walk was very pleasant cos the weather was starting to get cooler again (it was pretty warm during the latter half of last week, now it's pretty cool, averaging between 13 to 24 degrees Celsius) and I managed to snap some pictures of some of the more interesting sights along the way:

Paddy's Markets reminds me of one of those stereotypical Asian markets, you know the kind - a colourful sea of veg and fruit splayed out on waves upon waves of wooden tables, and hawkers literally screaming for your attention, and the typical crowd of impatient Asians, all doing their weekly shopping for cheap groceries (it's true, things here are so much cheaper than anywhere else!). It was surreal to walk amongst the various stalls; I felt as if I was back in Malaysia, the sounds, sights and smells were all so familiar! I walked away with a plastic bag filled with eight limes (only AUD$2!). The biggest irony? Another stall was offering ten limes for the same price!

There was also a meat and seafood section, and they've got all their fish and clams and oysters and such laid out in plastic trays and buckets.

And if you walk a little further, you have the usual stalls displaying clothes and shoes and stuff like that.

Outside the market I saw a very interesting albeit familiar sight. There were 2 men in Native American costume playing their wind instruments! They must have followed me all the way from KL (cos that's where I last saw something like that!). I stood there for a while, making use of the gathering crowd to disguise my oh-so-busy camera snap snap snap!

We then took a bus to Yin's neighbourhood (very pretty place!) and spent the entire afternoon, evening and night just lounging around watching movies (Made of Honour and Twilight) and chatting and eating and laughing. Yin made us some roasted chicken + avocado + egg + ham sandwiches for lunch, and for dinner we had har mee, which Yin made from scratch!!!! I find this very impressive cos the only har mee I know is the one you find at Alor Street (oooooh, I miss KL food!) and the instant noodle type!

Here's a snapshot of Yin and Nav after our satisfying dinner. Note the wide grins of contentment:

Yin further demonstrated her culinary expertise by serving up sago pearls with pandan coconut milk and gula Melaka for dessert! Yummy! At last, authentic Asian flavours! Slurp slurp!

So that was a good day, and I finally managed to satisfy my craving for good food! And that's it for this blogpost! The next I blog will prolly be on the Harbour Cruise, which will be this coming Saturday night. So till then (or earlier!), cheers!

2 comments:

Cynthia said...

ohh...the gula melaka thingy looks good....drool...

EScetera said...

My coursemate Yin made it... Yummy, right? It tasted great!