Sunday, May 16, 2010

The last 2 weeks

I know I haven't been blogging for what seems like a very long time, but really, cut me some slack, it's only been like what, 2 weeks? And I've got a very good reason for my absence from blogosphere (is there such a word?): I seem to have some trouble sticking within the limits of my daily internet quota, and I constantly find myself in the deficit these past weeks, which means I can't visit external websites (i.e. websites not associated/linked to USyd) if my megabyte quota's in the negative. Does this make any sense? Or am I just confusing everyone reading this?

Nevermind if you're confused, I'll just move on to what's been happening so far.

First off was the Harbour Cruise thingy, which was on the 1st of May. The theme was "Incognito" and we were expected to dress up in formal disguise or something like that. To me this didn't quite make much logical sense. I mean, look, we're all residents under the same roof. It's not like just putting on a mask would render everyone unrecognizable, y'know? Anyway the cruise was on Saturday, so on Friday after lunch I went to Newtown (only 15-20 minutes' walk away) to search out a dress. I managed to find one that I liked in this little shop, so at least I had something to wear. For the disguise part, I found a paper/plastic mask in one of those shops that sell practically everything you can think of (reminds me of the shops you can find at MJC or Tabuan Jaya, you know the type). So the following evening, a whole bunch of us took a bus and took a 10 minute walk to King's Wharf #2 (I think that's what it's called) and there was a little boat-cruise thingy waiting there for us! There wasn't an actual sit-down dinner thingy, but there were servers in smart suits walking around with beautiful platters of little munchies. There were some samosa kinda pastries with stuffing that tasted like cheese, and there were pies (rather messy these ones, especially with the hot juice oozing down my chin), some tough beef (at least I think they were beef) sandwiches, and of course, with all social functions here in Aussie-land, booze!!!!

Of course, there was also the Cowboys and Indians party in the Wool Room, but I didn't take any pictures of that event, but this here is a picture that's taken from the IH Facebook page:

One of my highlights of the past fortnight is when I finally purchased a pair of winter boots! I saw it being advertised on the telly, and I went out like the next day to get it!!!! I know you're wondering what I'm gonna do with winter boots and all, especially when I bring it back home with me to the steamy sweltering weather of Malaysia, but for now I walk around in my room with it and they keep my feet warm and cosy (it's real cold here, sometimes it gets as cold as 9 degrees Celsius!).

Then just this Wednesday (12 May) there was something like a student council election here in USyd. I think it was called the USU Board Elections or something like that, but anyway I guess they wanted as many people to vote as possible so they were giving out AUD$5 vouchers to everyone who voted. I voted. I spent my voucher on a 600 ml bottle of Vanilla Coke and because we won't get any real change back, I also asked for a hot chocolate. I had to give the Courtyard Cafe people a dollar extra, but hey! For a hot chocolate and a bottle of Coke? Hurrah!

Then last night, Su-Wen came over to my room and we were chit-chatting and suddenly we felt very very hungry (the dinners here haven't been that fantastic lately) so we decided to cook up some pasta. So we opened a packet of linguine and a bottle of pasta sauce, added extra garlic, and ate! Yummy!

And then today we IH residents had a barbeque in Victoria Park just across the road. They're smart, see, cos there was this Inter-Floor Games event after that, and that was the only way to make sure all the residents would be at the park - by telling everyone there was no lunch in the dining hall so everyone had to go to the park for lunch. Smart. Here are some pictures from this morning:

And that's it for the past fortnight. This week marks the third month I've been here on Sydney, and it's simply mindblowing how I've been surviving on my own all this while. I've still got approximately 6 to 7 months left here, and here's hoping I learn to blog more regularly. Cheers, people!

No comments: