It’s getting really cold now, and most days the weather forecasts are below 20°C, and some days I wear a scarf and my big bulky brown winter jacket to class. I think I might have to start using my gloves. And maybe even my beanie. The latter cos it’ll just look so cool, no?
You know it’s winter when the IH Kitchen start serving hot lunches every day. We used to get cold lunches every alternate day (i.e. no ‘hot’ meal, we construct our own sandwiches or wraps from the available bread, tortilla, cold meats, cheese, salads, etc.), but last week one of the kitchen staff told me we’d be having hot lunches every day, so yippee! And they’ve started serving soup as well, and it’s always so popular, if you go for lunch late you might end up with no soup (it’s self-service). So far there’s been a variety of soups: cream of mushroom, tomato soup, cream of corn (I think), chicken noodle soup, and some strange dark brown-ish soup (this one wasn’t very popular). I’ve taken to bringing some soup back to my room, and further heating it up with the microwave so that the cheese (I always add some to my soup, extra yummy!) will melt and slurp slurp! Nothing better than hot soup on a cold day. Which is why I ended up purchasing a couple of cans of condensed soup (together with some other food stuff) from Coles this afternoon, cos when I come back after class, dinner’s all over and the soup’s all gone, so maybe this way I’ll be able to have some hot soup in my room, y’know?

Here are more pictures of my late dinners this week. Monday was some chicken pasta thingy, Tuesday was spaghetti bolognaise, and Wednesday was lamb chops.


And I was hungry (and curious), so I cooked up a packet of Coles instant noodles, oriental flavour! The packaging is totally plain (it's supposed to be like real cheap noodles, 5 packets for AUD$1.09!) and well, it still says "2 minute noodles". But I cooked it up, and well, it doesn't taste as 'oriental' as I thought it'd be. I thought that would mean some chilli or sourness, but no, it reminds me of a very mild version of the Mee Daddy that used to be popular back when I was in high school. The noodle portions are more generous than your typical Maggi Mee though, and the texture of the noodles was pretty good. At least it didn't go all soggy and mushy after soaking a while in the hot gravy. But I still think nothing beats a packet of good old curry-flavoured Maggi Mee, y'know?



And that’s it, people! Tomorrow is the International Food Fair here at IH, so I’ll be blogging about that in the next blogpost... Till then, cheers people!
No comments:
Post a Comment