Mushi pan is a Japanese steamed cake and draws comparisons to steamed puddings, and is typically eaten as a snack (and is really popular with children). I was pretty grossed out at the thought of pudding, because I don't like the texture of soggy bread, but I thought it sounded too good to pass up, and this evening I finally decided to give it a go. All went well until I realized I couldn't locate the baking powder in the kitchen, and I left the bowl of dry ingredients in my bedroom (don't ask) and went out for dinner. I managed to grab a small container of baking powder from the supermarket, and eagerly anticipated the amazing cakes and cookies and yummy food stuff I would be able to whip up with the magic of baking powder.
Until I got home and discovered cockroaches and insects in my bowl of dry ingredients which I had stupidly left uncovered in my bedroom. I threw the ingredients away (don't worry, I don't use tainted ingredients!), but was enough of a klutz to drop them all over my bathroom floor.
All distractions aside, I finally got around to whipping up a new batch of mushi pan batter. It's really very simple, just a matter of assembling everything you need into one bowl (or two, as some of the other blogs instructed, but I'm lazy and cleaning up's a mess with the water problem we've been facing for almost 2 months now). I didn't measure the ingredients, and I just added however much sugar or flour or milk or cocoa powder I thought I needed. And an egg. And about a teaspoon plus of baking powder. And some splashes of water, because the original batter ended up quite thick and gritty. I added enough water to make the consistency of the batter smoother, more silky, slightly thicker than pancake mix. Then spooned the batter until it filled about three quarters of the mould (grease it with some oil or margarine or butter if you want an easier removal of the mushi pan from the mould when it's cooked).
I had a pot filled with water on the boil while I was mixing the batter and scooping it into the mould. When the bubbles are rolling furiously, I put the mould into the pot (on top of a little bowl so it wouldn't overturn in the water, just in case and all), covered it, and turned the fire down to small. Left the mushi pan steaming away for 15 minutes like the other blogs recommended, feeling rather nervous the entire time because I didn't know if my mushi pan would 'work'. At first it looked like it wouldn't set, the batter was that thin. But it did! And it didn't really need 15 minutes because the mould I used was really small and shallow. The second batch I put in to steam (same batter, but small mould and I ended up with more batter so had to try to finish most of it up) was pretty much ready in about 5 minutes, but then again, that's because of the size and depth of the mould I was using, so a bigger/deeper mould or ramekin would logically require more steaming time. The second batch kinda poofed up a bit, whereas the first batch remained quite flat and actually split a bit. I'm not sure if it's because of the difference in steaming time or amount of heat (kinda forgot to lower the heat with the second batch). I stuck a wooden skewer into the mushi pan to make sure they were thoroughly cooked; they came out clean, so now I know all I need is 5 minutes if I'm using the same mould.
And besides, everybody likes cake.
Give it a go, people, and cheers!





No comments:
Post a Comment