Thursday, January 04, 2007

Rather rocky start...

Well, okay, so it's here, it really finally is here - 2007! And once again, like I've done every year, I ask the same question: "So what's the big deal? It's just a number!"

Yes, people, it really is true... It's just a number, y'know. If there wasn't so much publicity about it and all, it'll just be like any other day to like what? Half of the entire population. True? I think so. Anyway, yeah, I haven't been blogging for a while, so here's some updates of like, the past one week, I guess. Let's see, I think it was somewhere last week, possibly Thursday, that I had to drive up to UNIMAS with a good friend of mine whom I've known since my primary school days. Our mission - to register for the new semester. So I drove right, and we reached our faculty (Faculty of Cognitive Science(s) and Human Development - FSKPM) at approximately 9.30am. Then the both of us went to the computer lab and sat down in front of the funny little computers. My friend registered in less than one minute. I stared in horror at the words that flashed up at me from the aforesaid funny little computer screen - Anda berhutang RM120... blah blah blah. The other words that followed RM120 simply didn't register at that time. I mean, like, what do you mean I owe 120 bucks and toot! because of that I couldn't register and I had to toot! go and settle my debt first before they'd allow me to register. So toot!-ing upset, I proceeded to ask the lab assistant what was up, and she said (she's really really very kind, one of the nicest people I've met working for UNIMAS) that there had nothing to do with it and I would have to go and see the BPPS (Bahagian Pengajian Pra-Siswazah) or something like that. So I did, but first I accompanied my friend to her college to register. Then we went to the Bahagian Kewangan and we asked, and yes, it's true, apparently I owe them money for staying in my college for the duration of the holidays. Boy, did I find it funny. For one, who in their right mind would wanna stay in a stupid hostel accommodation thingy place with no proper facilities and no friends and no food during the 1-month long holidays? Definitely not me! And secondly, I'm a Kuchingite! I have a home here, so why would I wanna stay there? Get my drift? And thirdly - and this one's the funniest and most 'out there' of them all - they put my staying duration until the 3rd of January, and even if I really was staying there, how would they know I would be staying until the 3rd of Jan, seeing how it wasn't even the end of December yet, huh? I actually plain laughed out loud at the counter of the Bahagian Kewangan. So then I had to go all the way to my college and kinda like, mogok to get a memo typed out saying that I didn't stay at all during the aforesaid duration of time when I was supposedly staying at the college. Okay, I didn't actually mogok, but I was close to it. Real close. They actually asked me to return there to collect my memo in the evening, and I was like "No, I need it now. I wouldn't be able to come back later because ... (insert reason here) ... and can I please have it now?" so grudgingly yeah, they typed, printed, and signed that stupid two pieces of paper that cleared me of my hutang. I was telling my friend, like wow... Here I am, holding two pieces of paper worth 120 bucks... Hilarious, I tell you. Then with that, we went all the way back to the faculty, and the lab assistant took a look at it and said, no that's not it, I'd have to go to the BPPS and get that to clear my debt. I nearly had a heart attack. So nevermind, I went to the BPPS, did a wild goose chase looking for the place, finally found it, and yeah that did it. And ooooohhh! Because I was supposedly 'in debt', they had actually taken my result slip and held on to it until I'd paid up, but because there was no debt in the first place, and I didn't need to pay anything, they gave me my result slip. I do believe I'm the first person I know to receive my result slip this early... So here's a lesson to you all. You want your result slip back first? Then go rack up a hutang, be it fictional or not. So then, I went back to the faculty, and I nearly wept with happiness (and relief - at this point in time my legs were nearly killing me) when the lab assistant said yup, that's it. Phew! All these for what? Less than one minute's worth of registration. Sigh. Red tape, indeed. But here's a big thank you going out to my dear friend who actually went through the entire process with me, keeping me company and laughing along to my rather lame and sarcastic jokes. If it wasn't for her, I think I would have really cried. And if she hadn't been there with me, I would probably have never known where the BPPS building is. So here's to my good friend! Thank you!

Some of you might have been wondering why I didn't just pay up in the first place, to avoid all this wild goose-chasing and all. I did think of that, to be completely frank, but then I also started thinking of how unfair it all was. I mean, why should I pay when I didn't even stay in college in the first place? It would have been a completely different matter altogether if I had stayed, but I hadn't so therefore, why pay? And it's 120 bucks! Not 12 bucks mind you, but 120 bucks! That's like what? The equivalent of 4 great novels! The equivalent of 10 meals at KFC and McD's! The equivalent of 80 cans of Coke (100 cans, if you know the right place to buy it)! Can you imagine that? No way was I gonna dish out that amount of moolah for that! Which explains the wild goose chase. Would you have done the same? The entire process took me a good 2 hours. And to think I could have been at home watching daytime cartoons.

And yes, for my results. All I can say is "Thank God!" Again, all praise and glory belongs to Him. I honestly thought this time was it for me. It, as in face the risk of doing the worst I've ever done at university level. But thank God, my results were better than I expected, and again, I just wanna say all the praise and glory belongs to Him!

And this week marked the end of two wonderful drama series I've been following these last month or so - the TVB drama War and Beauty on tv3 at 6pm to 7pm from Monday to Friday, and Malaysia's very own collaboration with MediaCorp S'pore, the beautiful series on ntv7 called Falling in Love... Sniff sniff! FIL ended 2 days ago (Tuesday, 2nd Jan), and W&B will be airing its last episode this evening. Boo hoo hoo hoo! I don't want it to go away! Especially FIL! I like the show so much. I do believe this is the first time I've actually been so hooked up on a Malaysian Chinese series production! It's really good! Surprisingly good, if I might add. And like I always do, I missed the first part of it, y'know when it just started and all. Sigh. Why do I always do that to all good Chinese dramas? Eg. Meteor Garden, and now FIL! All I can say at this point is: "Ntv7! BRING IT BACK!"

But then again, I'm really looking forward to this year. Reason? All the interesting-looking TV programmes scheduled to air this year. Like last night, this new series called Men in Trees aired its pilot episode last night. I found it really entertaining. Imagine, all this lonesome guys all stuck all the way in Alaska. Muahahahaha! Oh yeah, I'm definitely looking forward to this year alright...

And I've resumed my reading of the Lord of the Rings book again! This is now like what? My 7th attempt at completing it? It's such a lo-oo-ong journey, my dear friends... When will it end? But oh yes.... It's getting more interesting now. The Fellowship of the Ring has been formed, and they're starting their quest to destroy the One Ring, muahahahaha!

And that's it, people. The start of a new year. I'm still on the search for a brand new diary. I just can't seem to find the exact same one I bought last year. I'm still looking... Cheers you all! Have a blessed 2007!

3 comments:

Victoria Bong said...

Unimasopotamia... the land overflowing with red tapes and ridiculous procedures, not to mention the gore and horror students have to put up with going along with the (rather unsystematic, in my opinion) system.

Gosh, and during these times, it makes you wonder...how do these things happen, yeah?

Y'know, a friend of mine encountered the worse-case scenario- she ended up not being able to sit for the finals for one paper she took for the entire semester just because the subject was not printed in the exam slip... crazy eh? But I guess that's how things go back in UNIMESS...

But on the brighter side... at least you're can be close to your family while studying in UNIMAS... and I can get to see you often, too! =)

Anonymous said...

RM120....hmmm....that would allow you to buy at least 2-3 lamps at IKEA....maybe just a set of expensive curtains with the dainty hand-sewn designs...

how many meatballs can you get for RM120?

...you do the math....

EScetera said...

Hi there you two!

Victoria: LoL! Let's just hope no one from UNIMAS stumbles upon either one of our blogs, eh? If they did... We'd be in hot soup, eh? LoL! But yes, it's good to see you around campus! Muahahahaha!

triShie: Meatballs at approximately 15 bucks per plate... So that's approximately 8 plates of yummy Swedish meatballs with lotsa gravy on top! Slurp! (Why did you have to remind me?! Boo hoo hoo!)

Cheers to you two!