Wednesday, October 17, 2007

Music to my ears...

So like, I was wondering what to blog about today... Not that I don't have any ideas, I'm just keeping the best for tomorrow, teehee! So for today's blog entry, I'm gonna write about something that's very close to my heart - MUSIC! Yeah, I know it's something that's close to everyone's heart, but seriously I do love it. I like playing it, studying it, listening to it... But today, I'm just gonna talk about the singers who make my heart jump. It could be that certain something in their voices, or a certain word or phrase in the song, or just a lovely riff or chord... Just anything that makes me love that song or singer! Enjoy!

This here is Patrizio Buanne. What can I say about him? I like his voice, I really do. It's one of those deep, classical types. You know, the macho types, not the girly voices that some male singers have these days. Patrizio Buanne reminds me of the good ole days of music, when men still dressed in tuxes and knew the art of chivalry and charm. Oh he has a lot of charm alright. His songs are all love songs, and since he's Italian, most of his songs are Italian songs, and yes, Italian really sounds good on song. My favourite songs include Credi In Te, Only You, Forever Begins Tonight, On An Evening In Roma, Alta Marea, and seriously I think I could list down all his songs here. But I'll stop. And hopefully you'll try listening to his songs and see what I see (and hear) in his songs.

The Goo Goo Dolls have some really great songs too. I like their sound, the same way I like songs by Lifehouse and The Calling. One big factor is definitely the voice. I like the rough and gruff sound, I find it strangely... Heart-wrenching. Especially when it comes to slow, sentimental songs. Like, if you don't know what I mean, take a listen to The Calling's Wherever You Will Go and Lifehouse's You And Me. And when it comes to the Goo Goo Dolls, who can leave out such hits like I'll Be and Iris? And have you guys listened to Name? Man, those are really some great songs. Stay With You is a really sweet song too. And yes, I think it's really ironic that all this tough-looking men - the type who look like they could beat you to a bloody pulp if you look at them the wrong way - can actually come up with some of the most romantic and sentimental songs on the market. Ironic indeed, but I'm not complaining. Not one bit.

And this is Teitur. I know most of you are probably going "Who?" right now, but that's okay, I kinda expected that. Okay, just a quick intro. RealPlayer says that he specializes in "dreamy, slightly sad songs" and that he "spent the first 17 years of his life on the Faroe Islands (between Britain and Scandinavia)". Right. Well, I remember the first time I heard one of his songs, One And Only, was when I was watching this movie called Aquamarine with my friends, and there was this scene where the mermaid girl was dancing with the guy, and it was all really sweet and all, and then this song came on and I was literally blown away. Seriously, that song is really sweet. One of the lines in the chorus goes "Do you want to be my one and only love?" and like come on, with a line like that you're bound to melt the hearts of like a million girls (and maybe some guys too). If you like folk music, you might like Teitur. His guitar is the anchor of most of his songs, and yeah RealPlayer's right. His songs do sound rather sad, but I think that just adds to its beauty.

And who doesn't know Ronan Keating,the ex-Boyzone member who successfully launched his own solo career. I like his songs mainly for their feel-good factor, and really, some of his songs are quite good. They were times when I couldn't get Lovin' Each Day and I Love It When We Do out of my head, they're that catchy. And some of his ballads are some of the best I've heard, like To Be Loved and It's So Easy Lovin' You. Always pleasant to the ears, and with some pretty good lyrics, yeah Ronan Keating's songs are quite good.

And then there's Daniel Bedingfield. Now I can't help but feel that Daniel Bedingfield has one of the most heart-wrenching voices in the music industry. And have you listened carefully to his lyrics? Man, his songs are positively sentimental! My favourite songs of his are Never Gonna Leave Your Side, If You're Not The One, Without The Girl, and Girlfriend, just to name a few. It's just something about his songs. He has some of the most creative rhythms I've heard in quite a long time, and his use of sound effects is just simply superb. Take a listen to Never Gonna Leave Your Side... I can almost hear the wind blowing and the seagulls calling! It's simply beautiful!

And how could I leave out Howie Day? I like his song Collide so much that I actually put a video of it onto my Friendster site. And yes, it's the song that you hear everytime you enter my blog! I just don't know how to describe it. I know you guys are probably really sick and bored of the song now, but hey, I still remember the first time I heard it on the radio. And it still makes me smile everytime I listen to it, even to this very day. What can I say? I think it's his voice. There's so much emotion in his voice. Remember what I said earlier about macho voices? Yeah, Howie Day has a great voice! His lyrics are really something too - some of my favourite lines are "Even the best fall down sometime... Even the stars refuse to shine..." - it's so beautiful. I've listened to a few of his other songs, and they're great too, but I must say that Collide still remains my personal favourite. I just can't describe it here... You'll prolly have to ask me in person, and yes, be prepared to hear me talk for about an hour or so. That's how much I like this song.

I think you guys know the feeling. The way the opening chords of a song can put a smile on your face, or when you're looking out into the rain and a certain song comes on, and your heart just aches. Many people call it the magic of music, but I like to think that we somehow weave our lives and memories around music. It's kinda like, when you suddenly hear a song out of the blue, and suddenly you are taken backwards through time, back into the days when you were still a child. So call it what you want, but I'm sure you all agree that music is definitely just one of those things in live that you learn to love and appreciate.

Cheers!

4 comments:

triShie said...

daniel bedingfield...

*clutches heart*
*eyes look away dreamily*


*SIGH*

EScetera said...

Aiya you... I knew if I didn't put him on the list you'd have lots to comment... Blergh.

triShie said...

aaawww...
that's so sweet of you...

...you make it sound like i force you to put his name on ur fav list..

=p

EScetera said...

Wah... How you know?

Blergh.

I like his songs too lar you...

=)