Thursday, November 22, 2007

Life as sushi

These few days have been rather mundane, with only the food I eat to spice up my life (pun intended). These 3 or 4 days have been a food fest of sorts at my home, and I've been eating like mad. Like on Monday, we had home-made sushi! You guys should know, sushi is one of my favourite foods. Everytime we go to KL, we make it a point to buy lots (or loads if you prefer) of sushi. You can say that I was the one who introduced sushi-eating into the family. I went through a Japanese food craze (before my current Italian food craze) several years ago, and I remember buying sushi in KL, and literally force-feeding my family. At first, they weren't too keen on it, but the following year they were the ones hunting out sushi.


Talking about sushi, I can't help but look forward to my family trip to KL. It used to be an annual thing, but last year we couldn't make it. Which makes this year's all the more something to look forward to. Some of me dear blog readers probably come from West Malaysia, and they're prolly thinking right now: "Esther has gone nuts! What's there to see in KL?" I'll tell you what's there to see, and in a quick and convenient list! Which brings me to:


Esther's Top Reasons For Going To KL


staying in hotels - the life of luxury
Alor Street - great food in every stall
Midvalley Megamall - I can still get lost!
Nando's - the best chicken I've ever tasted
Marks & Spencer, especially the beauty section
MPH, Borders, Kinokuniya - books, books, books!
sitting in taxis with shopping bags blocking my sight
great mamak food (maggi mee goreng, extra pedas!)
hunting high and low for my Slam Dunk comic books
the fun of flying - takeoff, food (love it!), touchdown
specialty pasta shops (planning to try it this time)
the superb buffet breakfasts of aforesaid hotels
Chinatown - great bargains, food, and drinks
Ikea, for the shopping, the food, and fun
the bright lights of Bukit Bintang



Such a lot of things for me to look forward to, as you can see (or read). For me, it's looking forward your whole year to one spectacular holiday with your family.


It's saving up money, and not spending a dime (or a cent, in our case) on clothes and books and other frivolous stuff throughout the entire year, only to go on a spending spree and blow all your savings on the same clothes and books and other frivolous stuff in the span of a week.


It's about the food, all sorts of food that you really can't find here in Kuching, and even if you did find it, it just doesn't measure up, KL-style. Like mamak food, and sushi, and Penang char kuay teow, and roadsite porridge, and wantan noodles, and Nando's, and air mata kucing, and really I think I could go on for quite some time...


It's about not cleaning up your room, and leaving it in a complete tornado of a mess, only to arrive a few hours later at your very own hotel room, complete with complimentary welcome drink, and buffet breakfast, and having new bath towels each day, and messing up your room but having it magically cleaned up the next day.


It's about spending time with your family, searching for food, taxis, loose change, and the missing hotel room key, and queuing up in lines for food, and getting lost in the middle of a shopping complex. It's about making a list of items you wanna bring, and packing all these up into a suitcase, only to realise you've forgotten something so you mess up your already-packed suitcase only to find that missing something lying tranquilly at the bottom of your now messed up suitcase, and to begin the whole process all over again, before finally realising you can't get it out of your room cos the suitcase is wider than your door.


But mostly, it's about the memories.


Funny how a little sushi can spur the imagination. Onwards into the future! And with all that, I bid you adieu!

6 comments:

triShie said...

so, how long did it take to make your Esther's Top Reasons For Going To KL into that shape?

LOL!!

fine.
go KL without me.
see if i care.

triShie said...

and is that CAVIAR is see????

animal cruelty!!
haha.
jk.

they're just plain yuck.

EScetera said...

That shape? Actually not very long... There's a specific name for it in the world of literature, I've just forgotten what that name is.

And yes, that is caviar, although not the dark ones that we're used to seeing on TV. You don't like? I like!

:)

triShie said...

you like eating caviar? ugh....

done ur research yet? so what is the name for that shape?

EScetera said...

Well, since you asked, I actually searched through my literature reference books and came up with this answer:

"Visual poetry"
"... poem with a distinctive visible shape ..."

"Concrete poetry"
"... make designs out of letters and words ..."
"... word-imagery ..."


And you might even argue that what I've written isn't really poetry, but look what it says:

"Whether or not it ought to be dubbed "poetry", this art can do what poems traditionally have done: use language in delightful ways that reveal meanings to us."

Adapted from:
Kennedy, X.J., and Dana Gioia, eds. Literature: An Introduction to Fiction, Poetry, and Drama. 7th ed. New York: Longman, 1999.

----------------------------------------------------

Well, what do you think?

Aren't I the most dedicated blogger you've ever known? You ask a question, I go and research the answer for you.

Now don't you regret asking me whether I've "done my research yet"? Friend, you know me better than to plant any ideas into my head, especially now that I've got so much time and energy on my hands!

Muahahahahaha! I had a lot of fun writing this reply!

And P.S. Yes, I like caviar.

:)

triShie said...

oh.











(lol!!)