Sunday, September 16, 2007

Back to uni tomorrow... Why, oh WHY?

I dread returning to university. And by 'returning', I mean staying up for a couple of nights in my room in college. You wanna call me pampered? Can't survive a few days without the usual comforts of home? Fine, say what you want. But believe you me, once you stay up there, you really do start to appreciate the little luxuries you might have taken for granted all along. Like air-conditioning. And the smell of freshly-washed clothes that have been properly dried under actual sunlight. And not having to chase mosquitoes and all sorts of UFIs (unidentified flying insects) out of your room. And the comfort of lounging in a sofa set with real cushions. You start to miss your Internet connection. You even start to miss the taste of real cooked instant noodles (read: not the 'college-cooking style' of pouring hot water in).

It's a pathetic life we lead.

I honestly am counting down the days to the 4th of October. Not only is this the date of the play production (as in the day we actually stage the play lar), this also marks the last day I will ever stay up in college. Okay, this is just tentatively speaking right, I mean, who knows I might have to stay up there for some urgent reasons like an assignment that I've forgotten to do and have to pass up the next day which requires me to stay up there to complete it and what not, but the plan right here and now is to not register for any accommodation up in uni next sem. That's right. I've decided I'm not going to stay up in college anymore. I won't be signing the pre-registration thingy to say that I still want to stay in college. Cos I don't wanna stay in college anymore! That's right! I've had it. I'm fed up. It's just too heartbreaking. No more. This is it. The end of all this comfort-robbing nights away from home. The 4th of October 2007 will be a historical date. Going down in history as the day Esther moves permanently out of college, never to return again. Well, that's the plan anyway. Yes, I'm willing to go through the torturous two hours' worth of traffic jams and lousy Malaysian drivers* each day just to come back each night (or evening, afternoon, whatever) to the comfort and luxury (relatively speaking here) of my own home, my own room, my own bathroom, my own living room, my own garden, my own favourite wooden chair and table beside my lovely little pond...

No more college-living days for me!

That's my decision, and although I know there will be times in the future where I will complain about having to drive all the way back home in the pouring rain for a full hour of traffic jams, and eventhough I will complain of having no time for anything else due to all the commuting, and eventhough I might limp about because of my clutch foot (ala tennis elbow)... I will be a happier person at the end of the day, because I will be back home, happy, ecstatic, comfortable, relieved, content, satisfied... AT HOME.

Hope you enjoyed my little rant. I'm sure you all can sympathise.

Cheers to my brand new plan to stay at home!

*On lousy Malaysian drivers: This morning on my way to church, it was quite slippery due to the slight drizzle, and I was driving quite fast. Suddenly the car directly in front of me came to a sudden stop, and to avoid an accident I had to pump the brakes as well. My car swerved almost 90 degrees, and I ended up facing the trees lining the road instead of the road itself. Had to reverse a little just to straighten the car, amidst the honking of the other cars behind me (I was kinda blocking the entire road). Couldn't they see I was traumatized? Why still honk? Try to understand lar! Out of the corners of my eyes I saw a little puppy (you know those toy expensive ones) ambling along, obviously unaware of the catastrophe he (or she) had almost caused. My question here is why did the car ahead of me brake like that? But I guess me speeding on a rainy day makes me an arguably lousy driver as well... And to conclude, yes I'm fine, my Jeep's fine, everything's fine, we're all fine...

5 comments:

triShie said...

LOL!!!

i'm sorry, toots...but, you being 90degress on the road just puts a funny tingle in my stomach..i couldn't help but laugh..

but i do understand how ppl on the road can be so ...&^"£$%!£$&...like, ppl oledi feel bad, no need make it worse. like mine during the accident..ppl look like never see before one.

Anonymous said...

========================
WARNING: THE FOLLOWING TEXT CONTAINS TIPS THAT SHOULD ONLY BE DONE WITH YOUR CAR'S INFORMED CONSENT
==========================
Malaysian Road 101

Tip No. 69
- To avoid being honked by other "kiasu" and "kiasi" drivers, especially during a freak 90 degrees turn* on Malaysia's "over-priced" roads, try the following:

i) Imagine you're on a "simulated" drive with your mp3 player headphone on. Listen to a "alternative rock" song and enjoy the turn!

OR

ii) Place a big sticker or" sign card on your back mirror with the text "Don't Honk! I'm DRIFTING Dude!!"

Should both tips don't work for you, just think that those poeple honking at you are just "testing out" their "under-used" honk. You can even yell them back:
"Yeah, I know your honk is working!"

*Turning 90 degrees on the road is a super drift!! Congrats!! Haha.

Cheers!!

EScetera said...

"Hello. I was... expecting you."

triShie: Funny tingle in your stomach? Why? Stomach ache ah? Teehee!

Keeman: A super drift eh? Hmmmm... Wonder if anyone has any vacancy for a female stunt driver...

Cheers!

triShie said...

you think you're so funnie...

...well, you're not!!

it's what happens to you that are funny...

=p

EScetera said...

Yeah, yeah...

Like...

Whatever!